|as of 09/26/2016|
|last trade price||$30.89|
The Reaves Asset Management Closed End Fund
S&P 500 Index
The Standard & Poor's composite index of 500 stocks, a widely recognized, unmanaged index of common stock prices. Index performance does not reflect fund performance. An investor cannot invest directly in an index.
One may not invest directly in an index.
The Fund's objective is to provide a high level of after-tax total return consisting primarily of tax-advantaged dividend income and capital appreciation. It intends to invest at least 80% of its total assets in dividend-paying common and preferred stocks and debt instruments of companies within the utility industry. The remaining 20% of its assets may be invested in other securities including stocks, money market instruments and debt instruments, as well as certain derivative instruments in the utility industry or other industries.
- Managed to seek tax-advantaged dividend income
- Focus on utilities – currently among the higher yielding sectors
- Potential for enhanced yield with the use of leverage
- Potential for capital appreciation
- Professionally managed by W.H. Reaves & Company, Inc. (dba Reaves Asset Management), an investment advisor with 34 years of utility investment management experience
A Focus on Tax-Advantaged Dividend Income
The Jobs and Growth Tax Relief Reconciliation Act was signed into law on May 28, 2003. One provision of the Act provides that qualifying dividend income received by individual taxpayers will now be taxed at long-term capital gain tax rates which are a maximum of 15%. Currently, interest income and non-qualifying dividend income can reach federal tax rates as high as 35%.
Qualified dividend tax rates have fallen dramatically (to 15%), yet only certain dividends qualify for this tax treatment. Dividends from real estate investment trusts (REITs), master limited partnerships and trust preferred securities generally do not qualify. Also, the period in which the investor holds a security can determine whether or not a dividend is qualified. The Reaves Utility Income Fund is managed with these taxation issues in mind in seeking the objective of maximizing qualified dividend income.
Leverage to Potentially Enhance Yield
One advantage of closed-end mutual funds is the ability to use financial leverage as part of the overall investment strategy. The Fund expects to use financial leverage through the issuance of preferred shares and/or through borrowings, including the issuance of debt securities. The Fund intends to use leverage initially of up to approximately 38% of its total assets.